Emergency & Safety Information


Storrs Campus: Dial 9-1-1 (Cell or campus landline)

Regional Campuses – Dial 9-1-1 (Cell) or 8-9-1-1 (Campus landline)

Health Center – Dial 7-7-7-7 (Campus landline)

Also See: Employee Safety Requirements

Alert Notification System

In the event of an emergency, the University community is notified through the Alert Notification System, including: website alerts, text messages, email, voice mail, outdoor sirens and Code Blue Phone Kiosks.

You can register your cell phone number on the Alert Notification System website to receive text messages regarding campus emergencies.

LINK: UConn Alert

Division of Public Safety

The Division of Public Safety oversees the handling of safety and emergency concerns. The Division is composed of: the Police Department; Fire Department; the Office of Emergency Management; and the Fire Marshall & Building Inspector’s Office.

LINK: Public Safety

Emergency Closings Due to Severe Weather

In the event of severe weather, such as snow storms, it may be necessary to cancel some or all classes. Emergency closings are announced on the UConn Alert web page, the University home page, and cell phone text messages through the Alert Notification System.

LINK: Emergency Closing

Building & Emergency Contact List

The Building & Emergency Contact List (BEC List) is a web application that stores, manages, and accesses emergency contact information for the University buildings at the Storrs and regional campuses, and the School of Law.

The site is accessible with a NetID to find out who the BEC is in a given department within a building.  It is used by dispatchers and communicators in Public Safety and Facilities for emergencies and for sending messages to BECs about important building-related information

LINK: Building & Emergency Contact (BEC) List

Environmental Incidents/Spill Response


Storrs Campus: Dial 9-1-1 (Cell or campus landline)

Regional Campuses – Dial 9-1-1 (Cell) or 8-9-1-1 (Campus landline)

Health Center – Dial 7-7-7-7 (Campus landline)

Such incidents include: fire, explosion, flooding, electrical and any incident which has an impact on the environment.

For non-emergency issues involving the outdoor environment, contact the Office of Environmental Policy.

LINK: Office of Environmental Policy

For non-emergency issues involving indoor environmental quality, contact Department of Environmental Health & Safety

LINK: Environmental Health & Safety

Laboratory Safety Information Posting

Emergency contact information within each laboratory for posting at lab entrances.

LINK: Laboratory Emergency Card

LINK: Laboratory Emergency Card – Pharmacy/Biology Building

Safety Information associated with each lab (location of Safety Data Sheets, Chemical Hygiene Plan, etc.) for posting within each laboratory.

LINK: Laboratory Safety Information Card

Public Health or Workplace Concerns

For non-emergency concerns, Environmental Health & Safety provides assistance to the University community in evaluating and addressing potential hazards.

The University maintains two websites with information regarding safety and respect in the workplace.

LINK: Contact Environmental Health & Safety

LINK: Resources for a Respectful Workplace

LINK: Staying Safe In the Workplace

Mental Health

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a confidential assessment, brief counseling and referral service available to all faculty and staff.  It is designed to assist in the identification and resolution of any personal problem that may be affecting job performance.

LINK: Employee Assistance Program