About the University
Acronyms & Building Abbreviations
Administration & Governance
Audit, Compliance, & Ethics
Campus Life & Events
Code of Conduct
Commencement & Convocation
Consulting by Faculty
Diversity & Equity
Emergency & Safety Information
Graduate Students & Post-Docs
Grants, Contracts, & Patents
Intellectual Property & Copyright
Legal Representation & Liablility
Maps & Directions
New Faculty & Staff
Parking & Transportation
Personnel & Employment
Promotion, Tenure, & Reappointment
Record Retention & Data Security
Space & Facilities
Student Financial Aid
UConn Co-op Bookstore
Also See: Retirement
- Any member of the faculty, who at the time of retirement is at the University of Connecticut and either retires under the provisions of the State Retirement Act or the Alternate Retirement Plan, may be awarded emeritus status. Also eligible is any member of the faculty who retires from an affiliated institution and whose promotion to the rank of Professor in the School of Medicine or School of Dental Medicine was based on scholarship after review by the Senior Appointments and Promotions Committee, Dean, and Provost.
- Appointment to emeritus status requires a positive vote of the Board of Trustees or Health Center Board of Directors (for faculty members with primary appointments in the School of Medicine or School of Dental Medicine). Candidates may be presented to the appropriate Board when both of the following conditions are met:
- a. The faculty member holds the rank of full professor or equivalent title (e.g. Senior Extension Educator) at the University of Connecticut.
- b. The faculty member has served at the University of Connecticut for at least five years at this rank.
- There shall be a standing University of Connecticut Retirement Committee. Faculty members who do not meet both conditions described in Section 2a and Section 2b above may become emeriti by vote of the Board of Trustees or the Health Center Board of Directors following recommendation of the President and the Retirement Committee. Other professional staff are also eligible for this designation following recommendation of the President and the Retirement Committee.
- These provisions are in the By-Laws of the University of Connecticut, Article XIV – The University Staff, Section K.
- LINK: By-Laws of the University of Connecticut (PDF)