About the University
Acronyms & Building Abbreviations
Administration & Governance
Audit, Compliance, & Ethics
Campus Life & Events
Code of Conduct
Commencement & Convocation
Consulting by Faculty
Diversity & Equity
Emergency & Safety Information
Graduate Students & Post-Docs
Grants, Contracts, & Patents
Intellectual Property & Copyright
Legal Representation & Liablility
Maps & Directions
New Faculty & Staff
Parking & Transportation
Personnel & Employment
Promotion, Tenure, & Reappointment
Record Retention & Data Security
Space & Facilities
Student Financial Aid
UConn Co-op Bookstore
Overview of Faculty & Staff Resource Guide
Navigating This Site
- The easiest way to navigate this site is to use the Site Search in the left column of each page.
- Also in the left column are links to Guide sections. When a section has sub-topics, those links will appear at the top of the column, followed by the site search. In some cases, a sub-topic is cross-referenced to a related section.
- Another way to navigate the site is the site map, which presents all sections and sub-topics in alphabetical order.
- Links in the gray navigation bar are to site-specific pages (Home, About, Site Map, Contact) and related University sites (Teaching, Research, Engagement, Provost).
- The Related Links menu consists of links to University resources which provide in-depth information about the University.
- This Resource Guide, also known as the Handbook, addresses the need for a single source for policies, procedures, operations, and services of the University of Connecticut, collecting all information helpful to faculty and staff in one place.
- This information is located in a variety of sources, but not all of them are readily available to the entire community, or they may not be reconciled with each other.
- This Resource Guide is not an exhaustive compendium of everything relevant to faculty and staff. The format of the Guide is that of an extensive outline, with hyperlinks to relevant websites and documents.
This guide has two basic purposes:
- to assist the university community by providing a user-friendly, effective and transparent method for communicating the content of university policies and procedures; and
- to facilitate risk management.
- The desirability of the first goal is self-evident: faculty and staff morale and efficiency increase when it is easy to ascertain what relevant policies and procedures are, and what offices to contact with questions.
- The latter goal of risk management focuses on the adverse consequences that can result when mistakes are made due to lack of knowledge of relevant policies and procedures. In today’s world, ignorance is not always bliss. Indeed, a mistake made by a faculty or staff member who fails to follow appropriate policies and procedures can expose the university (as well as the individual him/herself) to legal liability.
- This legal liability, or the allegation of inappropriate behavior, can drain university resources due to the need to deal with the consequences of the allegations, and, if a violation of policy or procedure are found, both the university and the individual involved could be legally liable.
- This Resource Guide was developed through a collaborative effort of a large number of administrators, faculty and staff across campus. It is a living compendium, subject to change as policies and procedures are altered over time, or members of the community suggest additions.
- Input is welcome to make this Guide more responsive to all faculty and staff, as well as students and any subset of our university community.
- LINK: Guide@uconn.edu
Use as Faculty Handbook
- As of July 1, 2011 the Faculty Resource Guide is the Official Faculty and Staff Handbook of the University of Connecticut. Please consult the Handbook for any of your academic, employee, or university needs. Please contact email@example.com to suggest adding, altering or archiving material found on the Guide.
- LINK: 1987 Faculty Handbook Decommissioning Letter